Exposure: User Onboarding
Typical of enterprise applications, the decision to use Exposure is usually made at the C-level then a mandate is handed down to the rest of the company to use the app. From talking to users, we learned that most didn't understand what Exposure was and how it would help make their jobs easier.
Goal: Design a UI that captures the user's attention from the get-go, educating them while still being fun and engaging. The user should want to read through the material.
I proposed that we create a story about Exposure using the parallax style. Why a story? Because a good story always makes you want to find out what's next. Reading through a story does not feel like a chore. Why use parallax? My theory is that the user will have fun interacting with the different screen transitions and will feel motivated to get to the end.
Below is the almost-final product (we still have a few animation tweaks to do)!
The Design Process
This project targeted all new users of the Exposure app.
I began by researching how other applications onboarded users, and discovered three common approaches.
Approach #3 was the most user-friendly, but it did not help me accomplish one of my design goals—capture the user's attention from the get-go. In fact, it did the opposite and allowed the user to keep performing tasks while ignoring the pulsing icon. I concluded that common implementations of "tutorials" often annoyed users and caused users to skip the tutorials completely. This research helped set my design goals. I needed to think from another angle, which brought me to the idea of creating a story about Exposure using parallax to keep the user engaged.
I took inspiration from the following parallax sites that did a great job at telling stories:
Storyboard & Prototype
I collaborated with the UI developer and visual designer to create many iterations on the storyboard. I then prototyped the flow in Keynote to validate the flow and feel of the story.
Visual Design & Development
The visual designer created assets and I made sure that we were calling out the right areas of the app. We worked closely with the UI developers on how the screens would transition.
This project was completed in 2014.
Back to Work